Last night, the last of the 2016 football awards was announced in Zurich at the FIFA Head quarters. Cristiano Ronaldo emerged winner of the The Best FIFA Men’s Player 2016 with 34.54% of the votes. He edged out Lionel Messi (26.42%) and Antoine Greizmann (7.53%) in the final three.
Surprisingly, Antoine Greizmann missed out of the FIFA FIFPro World11. Although I am happy to see Luis Suarez in the team. He had a great 2016. Sad though not to see Laurent Koscielny in the team but it is understandable because he (his team) failed to win any laurel last year. France couldn’t win the Euros neither could Arsenal win the Premier League nor the Champions League.
Leicester City coach, Claudio Ranieri, was voted The Best FIFA Men’s Coach 2016 with 22.6% votes. Zinedine Zidane had 16.56%. The Real Madrid coach narrowly edged out Fernando Santos (16.24%) to emerge second best. When Wenger wins the UEFA Champions League…
Iceland Supporters were second best for the FIFA Fan Award 2016 with 31.37%. Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool supporters were winners with 45.92%. I don’t understand how/why Dortmund and Liverpool supporters were joined together, else the Icelandic supporters should have won it. Remember the thunder clap in the Euros?
- The Best FIFA Men’s Player 2016: Cristiano Ronaldo
- The Best FIFA Women’s Player 2016: Carli Lloyd
- The Best FIFA Men’s Coach 2016: Claudio Ranieri
- The Best FIFA Women’s Coach 2016: Silvia Neid
- The FIFA Puskas Award 2016: Mohd Faiz Subri
- FIFA Fan Award 2016: Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool supporters
- FIFA Award for an Outstanding Career: Alessandro Rosa Vieira “King of futsal” Falcao
- FIFA Fair Play Award 2016: Atletico Nacional
- FIFA FIFPro World11
- Goalkeeper: Manuel Neuer
- Defenders: Dani Alves, Gerard Pique, Sergio Ramos, Marcelo
- Midfielders: Luka Modric, Toni Kroos, Andres Iniesta
- Forwards: Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez, Cristiano Ronaldo
Breakdown of how the awards were decided can be gotten from FIFA’s website.
Congratulations to the Winners.