The Arsenal visited Stade De La Mosson for the 1st time in their history to open their champions league campaign for the season. With Arsene Wenger suspended from this game, no thanks to his comment after the 3-0 win over Ac Milan last season, Bould his assistant took charge.
3 changes were made from the team that tore Southampton in the epl at the emirates. Manonne was back in goal for injured scz; diaby replaced le coq; giroud replaced the OX.
The first half was all Arsenal despite going behind to a 9th minute penalty. 7mins after Montpellier’s goal, arsenal responded with two quick-fire double in 3mins, vilifying Rene Girard, the “la paillade” gaffer.
Podolski started and finished a move with a goal (his 3rd in 3 games) assisted by giroud; gervinho did same before tapping in jenkinson’s cross to make it 2-1.
A tired, tired arsenal survived the onslaught of a resolute french side. Cabella missed after dispossessing diaby and was unlucky not to have a PK when fouled by same diaby later on.
The gunners will be thankful to Manonne. The Italian saved belhanda’s shot from 7yrds to save arsenal’s blushes.
Ramsey came in for giroud to add weight to the faded midfield. Walcott and coquelin replaced cazorla and podolski later on (time wasting).
- manonne 7: great save from belhanda’s shot. Could do little about the PK.
- Vermaleen 6.5: unlucky to give away a PK but did a great job in keeping montpellier at bay.
- Metersacker 6.5: good aerial prowess. He would be happy belhanda missed after he(per) missed his tackle.
- Gibbs 6.5: a decent performance. Had to sit back in the 2nd half.
- Jenkinson 7: pressured most times to shoot away than to pass. Worked really hard. Nice crossing assisxt for gervinho to score.
- Diaby 6: great 1st half, poor 2nd half. Nearly gave away a goal and a PK.
- Arteta 6.5: worked hard but was crowded out in the 2nd half.
- Cazorla 6.5: nice play as usual. Played a part in podolski’s goal. Tired out in d 2nd half.
- Podolski 7.5: 3 goals in 3 games!! Great hard work to score.
- Gervinho 7.5: his pace was good. His goal, his product. 3 goals in 2games. Tired 2nd half.
- Giroud 6: won a lot of aerial duels, assisted poldoski’s goal but failed to do what everyone wanted him to do -score
- Ramsey 6: added weight to the middle.
- Walcott & Coquelin 5: did little or nothing. Wasted time.
What a game!! Bould even got a headache after the match. Nevertheless, a poor performance with maximum point is preferred to a great performance with no points.
Bring on Man City. They lost at madrid. We await them on sunday.
follow on http://www.twitter.com/soccergunz