Arsenal’s Champions League is over for the umpteenth time in the round of 16. The trio of Messi, Suarez and Neymar shot the Gunners out on Wednesday night. The game ended 3-1 in favour of the hosts but 5-1 on Aggregate.
It was not unexpected but the Gunners put up a far much better display albeit their finishing and conversion of chances and half-chances is a major concern.
Few points from the night:
- 1 – First Champions League start for Nigeria’s Alex Iwobi. He put up an impressive performance and got 8/10 in James McNicholas rating of the night.
- 1 – First goal for El Neny. He had goals in him before he arrived at Arsenal. It was a great goal and nice to see that he didn’t leave his scoring boots in Switzerland.
- 2 – Number of errors associated with Koscieny for Barcelona’s goals last night.
- 5 – Number of saves from Ospina. Maybe it could have been 8-1.
- 2 – Number of saves from Stegen. It could have been 3-2 or even 3-0.
- 1 – Ospina’s pose for Suarez’s goal
- 40,000,001 – Amount Arsenal priced Suarez
- 3 – Total number of goals Arsenal have now scored against Barcelona in Camp Nou – Bendtner (2010), Own Goal (2011), El Neny (2016).
- 2 – El Neny joins Bendtner as the only Arsenal players to have scored against Barcelona in Nou Camp
- 4 – Number of trophies Arsenal participated in the season
- 1 – Number of trophies left – The Premier League. The Gunners are 11 points behind but have a game in hand.
- 0 – What Campbell has done for Walcott to be played ahead of him.
- 9 – Total number of goals Messi has scored against Arsenal.
- 8 – Number of times i shouted “goal” last night.
The impossible could not be made possible last night. There were possibilities to equal the tie but the efficiency and killer-instinct was no where to be found. Final focus will be on the Premier League. Is that a possibility?
In the NPFL, Akwa United beat Ikorodu United 3-0 in a rescheduled Matchday 2 game in Uyo. The Promise Keepers are now 4th on the table.