The lunch time kickoff at the emirates turned sour for the Arsenal as they lost their unbeaten start to the season to their west London rivals thanks to goals from Torres and Juan Mata.
Basking from their midweek Capital One victories over lower division opponents, they both wanted to lay claim to the maximum points. Chelsea trounced Wolves 6-0, while a second string Arsenal pummeled Coventry City 6-1.
The first half started slowing for arsenal; playing on the back foot; loosing Diaby to injury no thanks to his off balance shot at cech’s goal. The defence went to sleep in the 19th minute as Torres tucked in from a Juan Mata free kick. Ramsey’s yellow card and gervinho’s41st minute goal were the other major highlights of the half. A chamberlain low cross for a superb rare gervinho finish caught Chelsea napping; nice first touch, great shot.
Arsenal started brightly in the 2nd half but failed to convert their chances before Chelsea capitalized to score. A 52nd minute Juan Mata freekick from another Vermaleen foul on Torres was slightly deflected into a flat-footed Manonne’s goal by koscienly.
I am not good at statistics but Chelsea looked better and should have scored more goals if Torres was clinical in the 1st half or accurate in his passes in the 2nd half. Meanwhile Cazorla fired all wide, so did Ramsey. Giroud hit the side-netting in added time after rounding Cech. What a chance to stamp his name in arsenal folklore.
- Manonne5.5: He was just ordinary; No save;My chief culprit for the second goal.
- Vermaleen6: Torres caused him a lot of troubles. He gave away the two fouls that resulted in the Chelsea goals.
- Koscienly 6: unlucky day for bosscienly; he couldn’t prevent Torres from scoring and the ball shin-ed him to go in for the 2nd goal.
- Gibbs 7: he was one of my positives of the game. The removal of podolski thwarted his forward runs in the 2nd half
- Jenkinson 7: my man of the match; nice runs. He has grown.
- Diaby 5.5: unlucky to get injured within 10 minutes of play. He might have influenced the game if he played more.
- Ramsey 6: jenky runs and misplaced passes. He started on the right but moved to the middle with diaby’s injury. He didn’t do the diaby role well.
- Arteta 7: the Spaniard was stretched in midfield with the injury of diaby. He broke a lot of Chelsea onslaught.
- Cazorla 6.5: he was somehow snuffed out in the game; no shot on target. Quite unlike santi. This is his least performance in the red and whites.
- Podolski 6.5: nice link-up play with gibbs; nice header saved by cech. His removal took the bite off the arsenal attack.
- Gervinho 7: great first touch, nice shot for the goal. Quite surprising and unlike him. I saw less of him in the second half.
- Chamberlain 6.5: good assist. Decent game. No spark.Came in as a sub for injured diaby in the first half. He might be blamed for not making David Luiz in the Torres goal.
- Walcott 5: unlike the Coventry game, he didn’t influence the game when subbed in
- Giroud 6: cech saved his defelected shot. That other miss will be remembered for long; good run in, nice rounding up of cech, but unlucky finish. I feel for him.
So we lost 3 points this weekend to the European champions; united also lost to tottenham. I hear the last time spurs beat united at old Trafford, arsenal won the league in 1989. I hope so. We play olympiacos next in the UEFA champions league at the emirates. Let’s kick some arse.