A victory was needed at the emirates; 3 points were expected to chase the top pack of Chelsea, United and City. We got one, though scrappy.
Sorry, this post is late. I was so entangled that disentangling took time. More responsibilities beckon.
A positive respond was needed after 2 conservative loses to Norwich and Schalke. A London derby against money-spending QPR posed the obstacle to be gunned.
Prof Arsene Wenger drafted Sagna to the backline in place of highflying Jenks. Our new number 10 made his premier league appearance after 17 months of absence due to ankle injuries.
Wilshere played 67 minutes but the game is summarized by the last 10 minutes of the game: Walcott and Gervinho entry; a foolish red card to QPR;Gervinho injury and Arshavin intro;Arshavin cross, Giroud assist, Arteta goal; 1-0 Arsenal.
These are my takes from the match
- Jack’s Back, so is Bac. Wilshere played and had shots on target; he surges forward and brings urgency; another bite. Sagna was strong and the battle for RB with Jenks will be exciting to follow.
- When will Podolski play 90 minutes? He has started all Arsenal EPL and champions league games this season but has never completed a match. Is he not a 90 minutes player or is he not fit enough? Arsene Knows.
- Giroud is always involved. I know we want him to score, but his presence is a plus. He is always involved in an arsenal goal. His header was first saved by Julio Caesar before Arteta scrambled it inside the net.
- A clean sheet finally. The last time arsenal kept a clean sheet was at anfield 9 matches ago and it is heartwarming that Mannone saved that shot late on.
- We had more shots and attempts than against Norwich and Schalke together. I don’t know if it is Wilshere’s return or Sagna’s but we mustered more chances than the joint account of Norwich and Schalke. Julio was just in form to prevent the goals
- A win is a win. The goal was offside but who cares now? A 1-0 scrappy win is better than a lose or draw with our best play. I do prefer 38 1-0 wins in the league than a wonderful display winning the fourth-place trophy.
So, we face FA devils at Old Trafford next week but we have Reading on Tuesday in the Capital 1 Cup. Hope we progress.
From the Nigerian Perspective the U-17 team trashed Guinea at Conakry 4-0 to progress on a 7-0 aggregate. The Golden Eaglets has scored as much as 87 goals in 17 games, averaging about 5 goals per match. If only Arsenal would surpass that. They would face Mali in the next round.
Enjoy yourselves, gooners.
follow on twitter @soccergunz
I see something truly interesting about your web site so I saved to fav.
thanks. i feel honoured
You have observed very interesting details! ps nice web site.