Donald Trump has been voted to be the next president of the United States of America – one of the biggest post in the world. He shrugged off opposition from Hilary Clinton and the Democrats Party, he defied the odds and bookmakers, he rose above twitter polls and all popular opinion to emerge winner of the Election.

It was a surprising result for many just as it may be by January 9, 2017 when FIFA’s bests will be announced. It is all in a vote and the voting system there off. But it begins with the casting and FIFA have gone one step ahead by creating a voting system that is different from different FIFA Awards.

FIFA’s topmost award have metamorphosed since its inception in 1991 as FIFA World Player of Player. It was merged with Ballon d’Or (which used to be more respected) to form FIFA Ballon d’Or in 2010. The marriage was ended few months ago and behold The Best FIFA Football Awards was trademarked.

 

The new voting system is an improvement on the previous editions of FIFA’s awards.

The Best trophies for player and coach of the year, in both men’s and women’s football, will be the result of a combined voting process, in which 50 per cent of the decision will be taken based on the choices of captains and head coaches of all national teams around the globe. The other 50 per cent will be split between the result of an online public ballot and the submissions from a selected group of over 200 media representatives from the six continents. – fifa.com

So there you have it. Your votes account for 25% of the total votes, the selected media have 25% and 50% will be from captains and coaches. The various award categories include:

  • The Best FIFA Men’s Player
  • The Best FIFA Women’s Player
  • The Best FIFA Men’s Coach
  • The Best FIFA Women’s Coach
  • The FIFA Fair Play Award
  • The FIFA Puskas Award (Best goal)
  • The FIFA Fan Award
  • The FIFA FIFPro Word11

To vote, register on fifa.com and “grab” your rights on this page but note the following dates:

  • For the main four awards (The Best FIFA Men’s Player, The Best FIFA Women’s Player, The Best FIFA Men’s Coach and The Best FIFA Women’s Coach), you can vote from 4 November to 22 November.
  • For The FIFA Puskás Award, you can vote from the day the ten nominees are published (middle November) until 9 January.
  • For The FIFA Fan Award, you can vote from 2 December to 9 January.

You have a chance to decide who emerges as the winner in all of the FIFA Awards. Don’t come back crying that it should have been Nicklas Bendtner instead of Lionel Messi. Ooh, the lord’s name is not there. He took his name off the list for fair play. You have Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez to vote as a Gunner. No Nigerian? Not news.

Time to run off to the World Cup qualifiers. It is Nigeria vs Algeria in Uyo.

On a sad note, a friend’s dad is laid to rest today. RIP Nnaji.

@AmosCP

Advertisements