Goodbye Last Season Happy New Season.
Some days are more important than others even if all claim to have 24 hours in it. One of such days is the 1st of July of 2013. This day signals the beginning of the new European football season: the 2013/2014 season.
While the African Calendar which is mostly yearly like My Nigeria is on a mid-season break, the clubs in Europe would begin to gather to partake in various pre-season preparing for the onslaughts of week-in week-out and even mid-week continuous football.
This Red Letter day is a day of reckoning for the all players across the continent that have had their contracts expired. It is day to clear the books, a day to reflect on the past and a day to start returning home from vacation. Is Ramsey still in Kenya?
I would summarize my last season as thus:
- For Arsenal
- Best Match : Reading 5-7 Arsenal
- Best Player: Laurent Koscienly
- Most Improved: Aaron Ramsey
- Best buy: Santi Cazorla
- Worst Match: Bradford 1-1 (4-3) Arsenal
- Disappointing: Diaby, Vermaleen, Gervinho
- Best match: Bayern Munich 4-0 Barcelona
- 2nd best Match: Lewandowski 4-1 Mourinho
- 3rd best Match: Barcelona 0-3 Bayern Munich
- Best team: Bayern Munich
- Impressive: Suarez, Muller, Lewandowski, Alaba, Benteke
- Best Goal: Ibrahimovic’s Bicycle kick against England
- Best Moment: Nigeria lifting the AFCON cup after 13 years
- Best Matches: Sweden 4-4 Holland, Brazil 3-0 Spain, Nigeria 2-1 Cote D’Ivoire
Without too much elaboration, that is my summary of the 2012/13 football season. I wish I could shade more light to my choice of selection but I believe you know why I chose them.
As for this new season, I hope that Arsenal would end it on a quadruple note. While we wait for the likes of Higuan to arrive on his donkey across the Iberian desert, while we wet our lips on the prospect of signing Julio Ceaser, Mauroune Fellani, Ashley Williams and co., we can start jingling our minds with the available gunners at the Red Base.
While we expect the likes of Chamakh, Squillaci and many others to join Arshavin to say goodbyes, let’s hope we don’t lose any player in the way Alex Song left us last season. I hear Bendtner and Mannone would leave by this week?
So, why not wish a fellow gooner “Happy New Season” and believe we would gun our way to glory. Goodbye to vying fourth with Spurs. Welcome to the Top.
What better way to end a season than to see Spain slain in pain as Neymar’s Brazil lifted the Confederations cup with a 3-0 victory on the last day?
follow on twitter @soccergunz